Friday, January 8, 2010

December 3, 2009:

Player Spotlight on: Clint Robertson

As an upperclassman, how do you view the team and program differently than you did as a freshman and sophomore? What things do you know now that you wish you would have known before? Do you feel better prepared for the upcoming season with that blend of experience and age?

When I came into the program, my focus was more on making the team (didn't happen for me the first time) and then on getting innings. Now in my fifth year, my goals are a lot less personal and more team oriented. While I still have self-expectations, my main focus right now is on the World Series. I wish I would have known before I got here that the best way to realize that goal is a complete team focus and concept. While I don't always have the right words of wisdom to share, the only way teammates learn is from talking to each other. When I came in to the program, I had no idea how anything worked on the college level. Over my time here, I have picked up a lot of things, so I try and offer that to everybody else. Particularly having been everything from cut, to mop-up reliever, to closer, to starter, I try and let people in those roles know the things I have learned. Another big factor is knowledge I gained last year during my injury. It is amazing the things you see and focus in on when you're hurt and have nothing to do but focus on the small things. That's what the game of baseball is all about. Small moments that tilt in the favor of one team or the other. I hope to be able to recognize those moments this year with the experience I've gained and take advantage of them.

How impressed are you with the freshman class, both pitching and positionally?

This is easily the best freshman class I've ever seen at Trinity, which is saying a lot since our team was mostly younger when we went to the Regional the year before last. The pitching additions are talented as always but this group seems more polished than any I can remember. The freshman hitters really have a chance to be special. There is a lot of raw offensive talent on display and some of the fielders can make plays that very few D3 players are capable of making. There will be some early struggles probably, but I expect big things from both the freshman pitchers and hitters this year.

How did you view the fall from a productivity standpoint? What are this team's strengths and weaknesses as we head into the season?

My former teammate Nick Vera has taken over the weightlifting program and things are really taking off. In the weight room, everyone is more productive than they have been in the past. I think the strength and physical fitness we are creating right now is going to be a huge asset. Though the strength gains will be obvious immediately in games, I think they are really going to pay dividends come tournament time when everyone else is wearing down. Our defense is also going to play a big role this year. As a pitcher, the defense behind me is more important at times than offensive output. This year we have a team full of guys that can hit and play above average defense. Our biggest weakness on paper is our pitching staff. The numbers don't lie and we struggled last year giving up too many runs and walks. With the raw talent we have finally translating into game condition success, though, I don't expect that will be the case this year.

Favorite restaurant in San Antonio:

Cafe Jalisco Taqueria or Cafe Salsita. Both make excellent tacos at an insanely affordable price.

Favorite memory of your time at Trinity so far:

At Regionals, one of Cal St. East Bay's players hit a line drive right back at the mound to end the game. The ball must have been hit 100 mph and probably would have killed me if I hadn't gotten my mitt in the way. The force of the ball literally knocked me over. I don't remember what happened next but I've been told I ran around like an idiot afterwards.

Noteworthy skills or hobbies:

I used to be really good at Basketball in high school, but my vertical is a little limited right now after ACL surgery.

Game-day routine or superstition?

I try and wear the same white "Drillers Baseball" shirt under my jersey every game that I might pitch. I've had it since I was 14, and it seems to bring me good luck.

Whose Trinity replica jersey would you purchase if you were a fan (current or former players?)

I didn't play with him, and don't really even know who he is but I'm gonna say Clark Wheeler. He's a guy I've been compared to before and he served as a sort of measuring stick for what I could do in my time here at Trinity after a certain point in my career.

Which current Tiger would win a game of Jeopardy?

I would probably go with Noah Solomon as he's a smart guy with a pretty wide range of interests.

November 24, 2009:

Player Spotlight on: Evan Jones

As a one of a few seniors on this team, I know that I need to be a leader on the field this year. This is my last college season and I need to play every game like its my last game to help the team win. My first three seasons have been up and down success wise, so I've seen what it takes be win at this level. I hope to help the younger players know what it is like to win and go deep into the playoffs. One thing that I know now that I wish I had known before is that the time at college goes fast. This being my fourth and final season, I want to go out with the best possible season possible. I know that this team has the talent to do so. I hope that the blend of experience and age on this team will be very beneficial by the end of the season. We have many players on this team that know what it takes to win and I feel confident that we will do anything it takes to do so.

I am really looking forward to seeing how the freshman class will perform during the season. This freshman pitching class is by far the deepest I've seen in my four years here. From what I saw at the plate this fall, there is at least a handful freshman pitchers that I feel are ready to compete at this level. The freshman position players are equally ready to step up and perform, especially in the infield. Even after losing what we did in the middle of the infield last season, I feel we have the talent that can step up and have great seasons.

I felt that this fall was the most productive that we have had in the four years that I've been there. The coaches did a great job preparing us for the season during the four weeks of fall practice. The fall world series was the most competitive that we've had in the four years that I've been here. I feel that was what was missing in last years team, that killer instinct and the will to win no matter what. I can see already that this team has it. Everyone on the team feels that we have the talent to compete for a national championship this year, we all just need to step it up on the field.

Favorite Restaurant: Cafe Salsita because they have the best tacos and they have the most friendly people.

Favorite memory: My best memory at Trinity was playing Notre Dame last season and knowing that we can be competitive with high level D1 competition.

Hobbies: I enjoy playing golf in the offseason. In the summer when I play a lot, I regularly shoot in the 70s.

Game-day routine or superstition: Last season I wore that same undershirt for every game.

Whose Trinity replica jersey would you purchase if you were a fan (current or former players)?: Nick Vera's because I admire how he prepared for every game.

Which current Tiger would win a game of Jeopardy? Probably Mike Hunter he knows a lot of weird stuff.

November 17, 2009:

Player Spotlight on: Noah Solomon

I view the team and the program in about the same way I did as a freshman, which I would say is a good thing. I chose to play at Trinity because I thought it was a well-run program, with a great coaching staff and tons of support from boosters. These past two years have only reinforced these beliefs. However, my mindset as a pitcher has definitely changed. As a freshman the mental side of pitching COMPLETELY owned me and as a result I had a pretty poor season. Last year I really focused on being mentally stronger, and it reflected in my performance. With two years of experience now under my belt I definitely feel more confident and prepared heading into my junior year.

This year's freshman class has been extremely impressive in terms of both talent and the energy and passion they've brought to the program. As a group, they've been getting after it since the first day of the semester, and that type of enthusiasm really is contagious.

The fall season was great in terms of productivity. The competitive workouts and nutrition stuff that strength and conditioning coach Nick Vera implemented at the beginning of the semester were huge; everybody dove right in and we're still going strong. I love seeing the competition in the weight room every day, and I know my lifting partners and I have seen positive gains from this program. As a pitcher, the month long fall season and Fall World Series were also very important because it allowed guys to get on the mound and face live hitters, which is a great way to identify specific weaknesses to improve on before the spring season starts.

Heading into the season, I would identify this team's strengths as pitching, defense, and a great mix of veteran and younger players. This year's staff has a ridiculous amount of quality arms, and if the Fall World Series is any indication, our defense should be much improved from last year. I also like the balance of older and younger players; this mix of calming veteran experience and the renewing energy being brought by the new guys should form an excellent dynamic for the season. And while we lost a couple of key offensive producers from last year, I am confident that there will be people to step up and replace that production.

Favorite Restaurant: Chacho's and Challuchi's, a 24 hour Mexican restaurant, because you'll never find a bigger burrito for less money.

Favorite memory: so far from Trinity would have to be my first collegiate start, last year vs. Cardinal Stritch.

Game day routine: On game days, I make sure to eat a turkey sandwich about 3 hours before the game, with extra mustard for electrolytes. I also always wear my pants as "tweeners" aka Greg Maddux style and I never step on the foul line when I come on and off the field.

Whose Trinity replica jersey would you purchase if you were a fan (current or former players?): I would go with a throwback Mickey Mahler jersey, because he is the school's career wins leader and he went on to pitch for the Texas Rangers

November 12, 2009:


Player Spotlight on: John "JP" Paillet III

Now that I am a junior, I feel like I understand what it takes to be prepared for the season. Knowing how to make adjustments during the off season is one of the biggest lessons I have learned. Coming onto the team as a freshman and trying to have an impact on the team is always tough mentally and can be overwhelming at times. Looking back on the regionals and conference tournament as an underclassmen, you're thrown into this big game with little or no expectations and only a high school experience. Originally I was in awe of nice stadiums and good teams but with a couple years of experience I'm ready to just go and play. With an experienced junior class and a freshman class comprised of raw talent, I don't think this team can be any more prepared. This team will have more than its fair shot at making some noise in the playoffs. The goal is a national championship plain and simple.

The freshman class is exceptional and makes most of the players wonder if they were that good coming in as a freshman. The new energy that they bring day in and day out is positive and gives a new feeling to the team. I'm excited to see how we interact and bond during this season. In two years at Trinity I haven't seen any freshman pitchers dive as quickly into the thick of baseball as this freshman class has.

The fall was a great opportunity to build the team and really see where guys are going to play this year. With four practices back to back the younger guys also get to experience what it's like on an away trip where you have to play baseball and you're already tired.


Going into the beginning of spring, I think the team's greatest asset is its chemistry between returning and new players. Everyone wants to win and we trust each other to get the job done. The teams largest weakness is that we like to think so much that sometimes we forget that baseball is a game that's meant to be played and meant to be fun. If its not fun then why play?

Favorite Restaurant: California Pizza Kitchen, makes me feel like I'm home.

Favorite memory: Missing a plane to Louisville, Kentucky followed by the dog pile in a 3 run comeback win against Millsaps.

Favorite Movie: Remember the Titans

Game-day Routine: Batting Practice w/ wood.

Superstition: I don't wrap my batting gloves. My favorite Dodger is Orlando Hudson, he does it. If its good enough for him its good enough for me.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009:

The Fall World Series capped off a successful fall for the 2010 Tiger squad. The series had a good combo of pitching and offense, with top arms proving why they're top arms and some youngsters showing good things at the plate and in the field. A very talented freshman infield of Jonathan Hall (Chicago, ILL), Kevin Francke (Yorba Linda, CA), Kevin Clements (Pacific Grove, CA) and Will Donnan (Houston, TX) all showed great things both defensively and at the plate. Upperclassmen John Paillet, Kyle Felix, Evan Jones, Kevin Jackson, Kevin Calbick, and Dom Robusto all had productive fall seasons and are ready to lead the young group in the right direction. This team has a great balance of talented youngsters and players with big-game experience. Moving into the off-season, players focus on upcoming finals and strength and conditioning to get strong and healthy for the fast-approaching spring season.

-Zach Fregosi

Tuesday, November 3, 2009:

As we enter a new year, we look forward to continuing the proud tradition of Trinity Baseball, on and off the field. This season provides an opportunity for us to get back to playing baseball the way our fans, supporters, and players have come to expect baseball to be played here. While we lost a great senior class to graduation, I am very excited with the group we have moving forward and fully trust that they will represent the program well. It is an exciting time to be a Tiger, and I trust that you feel the same way. Thank you for your continued support of our student-athletes.

-Tim Scannell

No comments:

Post a Comment